Over Minutes Transcribed
Convert Audio to Text - in 5 Easy Steps
1. Transcription Equipment
The essential equipment needed to transcribe audio to text is as follows:
- A computer.
- A word processing package such as Microsoft Word.
- An Audio Player to listen to your recording.
The nice to have equipment:
- A good quality pair of Headphones that are not too tight on your head. If you can get noise cancellation headphones then even better. This may be a bit more expensive but well worth it if you are in a noisy environment.
- A Footpedal to help you stop, start and rewind your audio. This can work with purchased or free software. Have a look at our some of our tips for transcribers under Equipment & Software for more information on how to use footpedals together with software options.
- Transcription Software - such as Express Scribe and the free version works great. All you need to do is use Express Scribe as a player if you want and type directly in your Word processing package. The benefit of Express Scribe is that it has "hot keys" which enables you to stop, start, rewind using the keyboard as opposed to foot pedals.
2. Audio & Transcript Format
- You need to ensure your audio is in a format that is recognised by your media player. The most common format is mp3. If you need to convert your audio to a format such as mp3, you can use free software to do this. See our article on How to Convert Audio to MP3.
- There are two basic types of transcripts you can choose from:
- Full Verbatim is where all utterances such as: uhs, ums, mhmms, stutters, repititions,laughter, crying and pauses are included.
- Clean Verbatim is where all filler sounds like ums, mhmm, laughter and repititions are left out.
- Using people's names or remaining anonymous will generally be determined by the nature of the recording. Names are normally included in meetings for example and where research is being done the speakers would often remain anonymous.
3. Typing the Transcript
This is where the hard work begins. You can expect to take a minimum of five hours to transcribe one hour of audio. There will be lots of start, stop and rewind that will happen and you will need much patience and perseverance during this process.
Once you have typed up your transcript you will need to replay the audio and check and edit your work. With all the stopping and starting it is easy to make errors along the way.
5. Saving your Transcript
Depending on which spreadsheet processing software you used and what the transcript is going to be used for, you may need to save the transcript into a format such as .doc. A useful tip when transcribing many different audios is to name the transcript with the same name as the audio file name.
What we do
We provide a Professional online Transcription Service.
We have a large team of highly skilled transcribers who transcribe audios and videos, which include research interviews, business meetings, disciplinary hearings, medical, sermons and legal matters including evidence for court cases.
We transcribe audio to text and produce high quality transcripts in Word format. Once our transcribers have typed the audio into a document, our Proofreaders then review the transcript and the result is an accurate transcript, which we issue with our Certificate of Veracity.
|Our services include English and Afrikaans transcripts and translations.|
How Our Transcription Service Works
The Transcription process is simple. We provide online transcription
services in a quick and easy way. Here’s how we do it:
Drag & Drop audio from your computer or paste a URL or Link to the files.
A Quotation is then generated. From here you can proceed to Checkout & place your order or you can download the Quote & make payment at a later date when you are ready to proceed.
Debit or Credit Card
Bank Transfer (EFT)
Bank Transfer (EFT)
Transcription Services Rates & Quotation
Our Transcription Rates are based on a rate per minute of audio or video.
We offer various Turnaround Times which are related to the price of your transcript. These include Standard and Rush Turnarounds.
Discounted Transcription Prices are also offered for large volumes of audio or video that need transcribing.
We also do English and Afrikaans Transcriptions and our Translation Rates are highly competitive.
Transcription Quotations are available instantly and can be generated by uploading your audio or video or by typing in the number of minutes you need to have transcribed. These quotes can be downloaded online.
How will my transcripts look?
We have a Standard Transcript Format with variations that you can choose from to customise your transcript. For example, if it is an interview we could do INTERVIEWER / INTERVIEWEE or we could use the peoples names.
We transcribe verbatim, which basically means we type what we hear. There are two Verbatim Transcription options: Clean Verbatim Transcription or Full Verbatim Transcription and in addition you have the option to have Time Stamps in your transcript. View our various Transcription Samples for further explanations and see how your transcript will look.
If you have a specific Transcription Format - we will gladly accommodate you.
Why Top Transcriptions?
Confidential & Secure
The transfer and storage of your audio and transcriptions are subject to strict security and confidentiality procedures and platforms. Transcription Confidentiality.
Pricing to Wow You
Affordable Transcription, Typing & Translation Rates which are simple & transparent. No hidden costs relating to audio quality or number of speakers. What you see is what you get with us! Transcription Rates.
Fast, Flexible, Turnaround Time
Standard & Rush Turnaround times with Flexibility to meet your deadline.
Quality 100% Guaranteed - Our Secret!
We have transcribers who transcribe your audio and proofreaders who check it. Most independent transcribers don't have someone proofing their work - that is what makes us different!
Our customers come from all industries, including: Legal; Education; Marketing; Media; Medical and Government. Students and thousands of private individuals also make use of our services. Transcription Customers.
Support & Friendly
Feel free to chat with us about anything. Transcription Contact.
How We Transcribe
Our Transcriptions are done by people and not software. Automatic transcription software produces very poor quality transcripts. The best way to get an accurate transcription is to have a person type it and then have a proofreader check it. That is how we transcribe and is the reason we able to produce the highest quality transcripts.
Where are you located?
We are located in Durban South Africa. We are an Online Transcription Services Company and as such, we provide services throughout South Africa and abroad.
Audios and videos are sent to us via our website and we return your Transcriptions via-e-mail. It's as easy as that!